In October and November, 1916, Hitler recuperated at Beelitz-Heilstätten after being wounded in the leg at the Battle of the Somme
By Daily Mail Reporter
Pictures of the large hospital complex that helped Adolf Hitler recuperate after being wounded in the leg at battle have emerged showing it as a ghost town.
Beelitz-Heilstätten, in Brandenburg, Germany, is home to the large hospital complex of about 60 buildings, including a cogeneration plant erected from 1898.
Photographer Kate Berry went to the complex to capture its eerie atmosphere on camera, so many years since Hitler's death.
It was originally designed by architect Heino Schmieden as a sanatorium by the Berlin workers' health insurance corporation.
But from the beginning of World War I the complex became a military hospital for the German army.
Adolf Hitler was shot in the leg during the Battle of the Somme
During October and November 1916, Hitler recuperated at Beelitz-Heilstätten after being shot in the leg at the Battle of the Somme.
In 1945, Beelitz-Heilstätten was occupied by the then-Soviet Union’s Red Army forces, and the complex remained a Russian military hospital until 1995, well after the German reunification.
Following the Soviet withdrawal, attempts were made to privatise the complex, but they were not entirely successful.
Some sections of the hospital remain in operation as a neurological rehabilitation centre and as a centre for research and to care for victims of Parkinsons disease.
The remainder of the complex, including the surgery, the psychiatric ward, and a rifle range, was abandoned in 2000.
As of 2007, none of the abandoned hospital buildings were secured, nor the surrounding area, giving it all the feel of a ghost town.
This has made Beelitz-Heilstätten a destination for curious visitors and a film set for movies like The Pianist in 2002 and the 2008 Tom Cruise film, Valkyrie.
A part of Beelitz-Heilstätten hospital complex where Adolf Hitler once stayed to be nursed back to health
Beelitz-Heilstätten is home to a large hospital complex of about 60 buildings
As of 2007, none of the abandoned hospital buildings were secured, nor the surrounding area, giving it all the feel of a ghost town
The building was erected in 1898 and designed by architect Heino Schmieden
It was originally designed as a sanatorium by the Berlin workers' health insurance corporation
A sign still hangs on the wall from when the then-Soviet Union owned the complex. Parts of the complex are run down and have been abandoned for years
Perhaps Hitler once walked up these steps in this abandoned building
The Beelitz-Heilstätten complex was used as a film set for The Pianist in 2002 and Valkyrie in 2008
Visitors come from all over the world to see the abandoned old hospital complex which is unused. Because it has not been secured, the area has a ghost town feel to it and is a stark reminder of the time during Adolf Hitler
After the Soviet withdrawal, attempts were made to privatise the complex, but they were not entirely successful
TOUR Hitler's hospital: Remains of Nazi Germany's...